04 August 2014

Movie Review: "VeggieTales: Very Silly Songs!"

Rated: Not Rated
Starring: Mike Nawrocki, Phil Vischer, and Lisa Vischer
Released: 1997 (VHS)
Synopsis
It's the very first VeggieTales sing-along video! Featuring hits such as "Dance of the Cucumber," "I Love My Lips," and "God Is Bigger than the Boogeyman," with on-screen lyrics, and hosted by Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber, these songs are sure to entertain kids of all ages! This half-hour DVD also features a new and improved "Bunny Song", and, for the first time ever, the Silly Song "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything!"

The Good
Though I've heard most of these songs before, the music videos for them were still entertaining, as were the interludes, especially the Home Improvement parody that even features similar theme music.  The songs aren't just humorous, though; they talk of forgiveness, accepting others, and not succumbing to fear.  Also, the animation is great, especially some of the shading and transparency effects, which I hear are difficult to do, and probably were even more so back in 1997.

The Bad
Some of the videos could have used a little remastering; though I watched this via DVD, the noise lines at the bottom edge on one or two videos and the fuzziness made me feel like I was watching it on VHS instead.  There was one song--"Oh, No!"--that probably made sense in the context of the original film, but, here, it's just a song that talks about what three misguided individuals want to do to somebody.  The "in between" music was also annoying at times.

Conclusion
I've largely avoided VeggieTales for a while, spending time with the Disney Channel instead.  Since I've given up the Mouse network just for this month, I thought it would be a good idea to try other kiddie entertainment; after all, I am a kid at heart.  This is a return to the old standbys, as many of these songs I've heard time and time again, though not in a while.  VeggieTales fans know just what to expect from this...and that's exactly what they'll get.

Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment