14 October 2018

TV Movie Review: "Dater's Handbook"

Synopsis: Cassandra (Meghan Markle) has a problem: she always goes for guys who aren't willing to commit. Her current relationship isn't cutting it; when he makes her sit there bored while he is having a blast at the batting cage, she walks out in disgust. While at a friend's wedding, she meets a single guy named Robert, whom with she immediately hits it off. Soon after, she goes out on a date with another guy named George, whom she meets via her job. Cassandra's sister wants her to go by a bestselling dating handbook written by "expert" Dr. Susie and go for George, but their mother doesn't put any stock in that literature, and says Robert is the better choice. Who will she choose?
The Good: I can see why Prince Harry fell for Meghan Markle; she is definitely cute, and plays her part well. The rest of the cast does a great job, too. The plot drew me in, and the production values--sets, wardrobe, etc.--looked great. As you'd expect, the content was very clean: no violence, sex was limited to kissing, and as close as it comes to profanity is one use of the word "gosh". As a longtime Apple fan, the fact that Cassandra owned a MacBook and an iPod was a plus.
The Bad: Since most of the characters are adults, they're seen drinking alcohol; while I know it's only a sin to get drunk, I was a bit bothered by all the champagne on display, as well as one scene with beer. The biggest complaint, however, is that this feels a bit cookie-cutter; there's nothing particularly special about it.
Conclusion: Despite knowing the names and likenesses of many Hollywood celebrities, I had never heard of Meghan Markle until her romance with Prince Harry. I grew up hearing about the British monarchy--I remember waking up to news that Princess Diana had been killed in a car wreck in 1997--but, I was never all that enthused about it; then again, maybe I would have been if the late princess had beautiful daughters instead of sons. Still, with Meghan Markle becoming a household name, I had to see her in action...so, I checked this movie out, and I was glad I did. While it's nothing special, it drew me in and kept me until the end. I don't know if I'll ever watch it again, but it definitely brightened my weekend.

Score: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment