15 September 2017

TV DVD Review: "Power Rangers: Time Force"

Synopsis: It's the year 3000, and Jen (Erin Cahill, Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2) couldn't be happier.  Alex, her longtime significant other, has just proposed marriage to her, and she is overjoyed.  Unfortunately, that elation is cut short when the villainous Ransik (Vernon Wells) kills Alex in the line of duty, and proceeds to head back to the year 2001.  Jen and the other Time Force Rangers head back in time themselves to arrest Ransik and put an end to his dastardly deeds...but, with plenty of mutants at Ransik's disposal, the fight may prove far too difficult.

(Warning! Spoilers throughout!)

The Good: What I've liked about other incarnations of the Rangers, I liked about this one.  The heroes are admirable, the villains are despicable, there's plenty of action, and the content is kept rather clean: no profanity or sexual content.  This season actually ended on a high note, with Ransik and his daughter Nadira learning the errors of their ways; that was a surprise, but a nice one.  It's easy to see why this is among the most beloved seasons of Saban's long-running franchise.

The Bad: My biggest complaint was the wardrobe; both Nadira and Katie, the Yellow Ranger, often wear bare-midriff tops, and Jen, the Pink Ranger, wears low-cut ones from time to time.  Some may find that to be inappropriate eye candy, especially for teenage boys.  Also, the DVD edition I had contained the post-9/11 versions of the episodes.  While I noticed plenty of destruction and action, would it have killed Shout! Factory to release the originals?

Conclusion: The Power Rangers franchise and I have an interesting history; one I won't bore you with, but, let's just say I've gone back and forth about my love for it.  Thanks to Shout! Factory's deal with Saban, I've been able to watch various incarnations of the show, and have been having a blast with it.  Sure, many people deride it, but, the kid in me gets a thrill from these episodes.  If you're a fan of Saban's superhero franchise, and haven't seen this season yet...what are you waiting for? Go and find it!

Score: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment