17 April 2016

iTunes Episode Set Review: "Lego Star Wars: The Complete Brick Saga So Far"

Rated: TV-PG-V / TV-Y7-FV
Starring: Anthony Daniels, Tom Kane, and Brian Dobson
Released: 2014
Synopsis: It's the beloved science fiction film saga as you've never seen it before! Star Wars gets the Lego treatment, featuring new characters such as former Clone Trooper JEK alongside longtime cinematic favorites such as Yoda and Darth Vader! With plenty of hilarity, this comedic adaptation of one of the most successful celluloid series ever features the usual ship battles and lightsaber duels...but all in the name of laughs!
Features the voice of Anthony Daniels, the original C3PO.

The Good: This is really a parody of Star Wars...but it's a great one! Fans of the movies will likely be laughing out loud at the many humorous moments; I know I was! The animation and voice work were also great as well.  I wasn't quite expecting this series to be a comedy when I bought it...but I'm glad I did; it was a treat!

The Bad: The only complaint I really have is that the last episode is pretty much the same as the one that came before it, save for an alternate ending.  That, however, is a minor complaint.

Content Concerns:
  • Sex: Totally innocent romance; girls chase Luke, which is played for laughs. 4/5
  • Nudity: Shirtless guys, made much less sultry thanks to the characters being Lego people. 4/5
  • Language: Name-calling, at worst. 4/5
  • Violence: Comedic pratfalls; nothing worse. 4/5
  • Drugs: None. 5/5
  • Frightening/Intense Scenes: Much of this series is just silly, but, a creature or two could frighten little kids. 4/5
  • Other: Occasional bathroom humor. 4/5
Conclusion: Back when I was a kid, I was a big fan of Growing Pains, thanks to reruns being shown daily on the Disney Channel.  To this day, my number one favorite episode--not of that show, but of any show, ever--was "Meet the Seavers," where youngest son Ben has a dream about his family being merely a television show, and the cast members use their real names and talk about their real-life families.  It's stuck with me ever since, and such self-parody has always been hilarious to me.  I mention that because, what "Meet the Seavers" was to that Kirk Cameron sitcom, Lego Star Wars is to Lucas' space opera.  Purists may be enraged at the films getting the comedic treatment, but, I really enjoyed this one.

Score: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment