17 December 2015

Quickie Movie Review: "High School Musical 2"

Rated: TV-G (US) / G (Canada)
Starring: Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Lucas Grabeel, Corbin Bleu, and Monique Coleman
Released: August 17, 2007 (Disney Channel premiere) / December 11, 2007 (DVD)
Synopsis: The Wildcats are back! It's summer break, and Troy Bolton (Zac Efron) and friends want to make this one to remember.  They all end up getting jobs at a country club owned by school diva Sharpay Evans' (Ashley Tisdale, Suite Life of Zack and Cody) family.  Though Troy and Gabriella (Vanessa Hudgens) are still dating, Sharpay is scheming to make him hers.  With the demands of work, his preparations for his future, and Sharpay's wily ways, Troy seems to lose focus, making his friends, including longtime companion Chad (Corbin Bleu), not to mention Gabriella, very upset.  Will Troy learn the error of his ways, or will he succumb to Sharpay?
As seen on Disney Channel.

My Review: Okay, I know I'm really late to the party by just watching this now, but, I don't know if I could have appreciated this back when it first premiered in 2007.  While some of the musical numbers, especially the last two, were fabulous, others of them were just plain weird, such as the one named after the Hawaiian fish that has a name even I can't spell.  Also, while I realize this takes place during summer, and at a country club, I still felt that the fashion sense could have been more modest.  While none of the girls wear bikinis, some of their swimsuits--including Gabriella's lifeguard uniform--and other outfits are low-cut, and Troy is seen shirtless at least two times.  I expected a bit more propriety from the Mouse network.  Despite those flaws, I mostly enjoyed this one; now, I can actually say I've seen it...because what kind of Disney Channel fan would I be if I never did?

Content Concerns:
  • Sex: Kissing and flirting; totally innocent romance. 4/5
  • Nudity: Girls are often seen in low-cut or bare-midriff outfits; a main character is seen shirtless two or three times. 3/5
  • Language: None. 5/5
  • Violence: Slightly intense sports action. 4/5
  • Drugs: None. 5/5
  • Frightening/Intense Scenes: Emotional intensity in a few scenes. 4/5
Score: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment